Catch up on what the experimenters have been up to this week.
We started our work week by providing the TELECARTAGENA media with a television note in which we talk about the progress and work that has been done with the development of measuring equipment for polluting gases.
One of the requirements that the prototype meets is the geolocation of pollution episodes to provide direct solutions to the problem of road traffic, one of the most relevant forms of pollution in cities.
The prototype measures the levels of carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, ozone and nitrogen dioxide. Later, through fixed devices or gateways installed in the city, it transmits the readings to the OrganiCity servers, where the data will be processed through "machine learning" techniques.
Watch our interview here
On the other side of the continent ... in Colombia!
The prototype of the air quality measurement device was received.
In the tests, main streets were crossed with the prototype such as the 5th Street, the Avenida de los Cerros, Simón Bolívar highway or the main road of Yumbo, among others and data were generated for further analysis. This tour was conducted by car and allowed us to know the challenges we face with the design and portability of the sensor device prototype.
The operation of the prototype was successful and met expectations. In the coming weeks we will continue with the tests in the city and soon we will publish more information.
One of the main goals of this project is to work in co-creation with the group of developers, offering ideas that refresh and improve the experience with the services created by CAMoN, facing new challenges always in favour of continuous improvement.
In the development area, we optimized the code to reduce the response times between the server and the application. In addition, a version of the application for iOs was generated in Ionic View and the application was exported to a web application server, in order to guarantee the functionality between the different operating systems and their respective versions.
CAMoN is premiering a new version of the prototype of the air quality measurement device, with a more compact design to facilitate portability.
You can learn more about CAMoN's progress by visiting our website.
This week we got the final sensors in place, tested and running in Aarhus, after having some connectivity issues with the Aarhus LoRaWAN network.
Below, we can see how one of the containers in Spain got full, emptied and is now starting to fill again.
Since then, even more people started using the button and we are up to 70 presses on one of the containers.
As we are nearing the end of the ParGarCom experiment, intensive work has been done this week on both diffusion, co-creation, and application development.
In relation to the diffusion and co-creation, on Monday 26th March, an Open Data Day was held, promoted by the ParGarCom team, in which, among others, Mr. Pep Lluis Pons, General Director of Innovation of the Government of the Balearic Islands; Mr. Benjamí Villoslada, General Director of Technological Development of the Government of the Balearic Islands; Mr. Juan Echevarría, responsible for European projects at Santander City Council; Mr. Bartomeu Alorda, coordinator of the SmartCity / SmartDestination working group of the University of the Balearic Islands and the whole team of the ParGarCom experiment in which we explained what is Organicity, as well as the ParGarCom experiment and its technical aspects.
The conference was attended by more than 25 people and was a success in terms of both content and diffusion, with references published in seven media, including the Balearic Government website.
At the end of the conference, a co-creation activity was held and participants were encouraged to submit anonymous suggestions, opinions, comments, suggestions or improvements to the ParGarCom application.
Taking advantage of the acceptance that the conference had arisen, on Tuesday 27 March a new co-creation session was held at the Parque Balear de Innovación Tecnológica (ParcBit), in which representatives of the Parc and companies based there discussed the possible application of the ParGarCom experiment on the ParcBit environment and how it could be improved. As a result of the day, a whole series of proposals and observations were generated that would allow the continuity of the project in a future phase. We will detail this information on the final report. The previous images illustrate some of the moments of the day.
And related to the development chapter, the app has experimented some improvements, offering a more comprehensive information at the transportation layer; it now includes taxi stops and bike stations. Besides that, we have added the possibility to edit user information, change avatar and change e-mail address and corrected some bugs.
It is the last week of work for the TalkingCity experiment team! The focus of this week has been on devising and validating strategies for the long-term sustainability of the Aarhus experiment and, more in general, of the technology developed. The team burned 200+ post-its, using a variety of lean methodologies and support tools. From Apr. 1st onwards, a new challenge will start, to expand TalkingCity to the whole Europe! Bye-bye Organicity, and thanks for everything!