Catch up on what the experimenters have been up to this week.
This week the ParGarCom team met to analyze the app's roadmap and comment on some technical issues of the work done.
The meeting was very relaxed and ideas on how to simply and clearly capture the new information on the app (filters on the map to activate/deactivate layers; layer of geo-positioned images; access to the entity on the map when clicking on the icon...) were shared. During the discussion, programmers Ida and Miguel could simultaneously make some changes.
In the end, after several tests carried out during the week, ionic view was discarded and access to google play has been activated to upload the application and make it easier for users to download it. We are still waiting to solve problem in the compilation, so we hope that in the next few days it can be downloaded.
The development work has focused on access to the application via username and password, as well as uploading comments, photos, sounds and videos.
In the diffusion section, a new post has been published describing the problems we have had in the development of the ParGarCom API and how they have been solved.
You can access the publication here.
The last week has had 3 highlights: Visit from the state minister of Denmark & Deployment of two additional sensors in Herning and co-creation activities in Aarhus.
Aarhus University in Herning had a visit from the Danish Prime Minister accompanying him the Minister of Education and Business. IoTee Lab showcased the the OrganiCity experiment through a live demonstration of a bin, the sensor and the iRecycle button. The experiments in Herning, Aarhus and Santander were explained and showcased, the ministers were really impressed about the benefits of effective recycling for the society, using IoT.
Our dashboard is also coming together, with historical measurements. The next step will be connecting the data with the Organicity API.
We have followed up on our skype meeting last week regarding the complaints that we have with the SensiNact tool and hopefully a meeting can be set up soon between our technical partners and the tool team.
Otherwise we are still working hard on getting the last sensors up and running and are in the meantime in the process of getting the first samples of all other data sets.
We can also inform that we have filled out and sent all the relevant information for the interim report ahead of the deadline.
We are in Aarhus this week to evaluate the Data on Site co-creation methodology with citizens and the municipality in two workshops. The outcome of each workshop and their feedback will help us to improve the usability and structure of the methodology for the next iterations in Leuven.
We are also deploying the current prototype in the city to gauge the impressions of passers-by. As display content for this deployment we’re using the outcome of one of the trial workshops.
We’re also posting on the OrganiCity Experimenters Instagram account this week, so definitely check there for more pictures.
New WiFi Access Point Installed
In order to capture full audio data, we will be using the Raspberry Pi Zero W boards to send data over WiFi, and we have now installed a new WiFi Access Point to receive the data. The Access Point is located on the South West corner of the University Main Library, as indicated by the blue arrow on below map.
The photo below shows a view of the library from the Meadows, followed by a close-up of the newly installed Access Point (a small grey box).
We are looking forward to testing the reception range of the new device.
This week we held a co-creation workshop and launch night for our Tranquil Pavement London interactive map. We had over 45 attendees, which was more than the number of chairs!
The event was for introducing the tool and to get the audience's feedback and input on how to make it the best it can be. Our collaborators, developers Outlandish, were there to offer technical guidance as well as to work with us to draw out useful comments on functionality, design, and opinions on the purpose of the tool.
We first asked a series of following questions to help our general concept and design development.
We collected feedback by dividing into four groups, creating small focus sessions. The feedback was given in an open and informal yet visual way, as shown in the question cards. The questions are also available on OrganiCity Scenario tools, add your comments here.
We then ran a session to explore additional features that people could envision for the tool. Some suggestions were: to add in sound content, to include information on how to get involved in maintaining and/or improving the tranquil space, and also for a routing option. We also had some suggestions for additional features, which we asked for the audience's opinions on too.
We will be collating the full comments and conclusions from the workshop soon, but it proved to be a vital source of constructive feedback, and it also helped engage our audience in the creation process! Welcome to the Tranquil City Community!