We are now in the final month of our OrganiCity experimentation phase! Catch up on what the experimenters have been up to this week.
In the framework of the CAMoN project, the code required to connect and develop experiments within the OrganiCity platform was implemented. This involved, among other aspects, the creation of the necessary assets from the platform and the appropriate upload of environmental parameters to OrganiCity.
The sending of information is done automatically. That is, without human interaction, from the gateway (also designed and implemented by our team), as long as this gateway receives data from mobile devices in charge of capturing and measuring pollution in the air. The proper functioning of the gateway interaction with OrganiCity was tested and verified through a series of tests in the streets of Cartagena and Santiago de Cali, with satisfactory results. The collected data was correctly uploaded to OrganiCity, where it is stored for future analysis and processing.
The CAMoN databases were implemented and configured, which are presented below:
Regarding the design and implementation of the gateway device, there are notable differences with respect to the development made in the device responsible for measuring the concentration of gases (publisher). The function of the gateway is to receive the data collected by the different publishers that capture measures around the city and upload them both to their own database (CouchDB) and to the technical environment of OrganiCity. The tasks carried out in this aspect have been based on the software implementation of the functions of the gateway: (i) the total automation of its operation in order to facilitate the deployment to potential users and (ii) the adaptation of the data captured by the publishers to the OrganiCity platform with the aim that they are understandable by this.
Co-creation has been a permanent part of our work and approach. Our focus is on encouraging activities through co-creation workshops. Crowdsourcing is one of our biggest allies. We are very happy with the results.
This Easter Weekend in London we had our most diverse workshop yet. The group consisted of 20 participants of a mix of parents and children. As those who followed our work last year may know, we began the project by looking at how children react to the issues of air quality. Coming back to that and working with parents allowed for an interesting and dynamic discussion going over what sights, sounds, and smells give rise to a
perception of air quality. For example, this workshop started on a farm in Tower Hamlets. As you could maybe guess, the children weren’t very enthused with the air quality there (or more accurately, the smell). Parents on the other hand, thought otherwise to make that correlation.
Aside from that, the main focus since last week was the addition of new features. Learning from our last discussion, we added some interesting features to the platform. While the core functionality remains the same, we noticed that it would be nice to have some results to share with the participants at the end of the workshops.
So firstly, we implemented a feature that allows us to pull the perceptions at each location and plot them on a map to show the perceived air quality. We also built it to include the data from our portable sensors to place that we can place side by side to the participant data and encourage discussion on how ‘right’ everyone was.
Each participant is also prompted to take photos during the walk using the phone attached to their wearable. We implemented a feature to display the photos at each location so during the discussion we can see what were the (if any) common themes influencing the perception of air quality.
We have a bit of a break between workshops right now for a week, but looking forward to digging into the data and seeing trends over the course of the last three workshops.